Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

Here are some of the recipes I tried out for Christmas. I made the clam chowder for Christmas Eve. As a special treat we had them in bread bowls from Panera. I was inspired by the clam chowder we had at the clam bake in Ohio and found this recipe. I loved the thyme in the recipe, it set it apart from any other clam chowder I've made before.

Easy and Delicious Clam Chowder
  1. In a heavy-bottomed pot brown the bacon, then add in onions, celery, thyme, bay leaf and garlic (if using); saute for about 4 minutes.
  2. Add in wine, whipping cream, milk and the juice from the clams (save the clams to add in the end).
  3. Add in the grated potato; bring to a slow simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the grated potato softens, releases the starches and thickens the chowder base.
  4. Add in the reserved clam meat, evapoated milk and chopped parsley; bring to JUST a simmer and remove from heat.
  5. Season with salt and lots of black pepper.
I served this cake for breakfast on Christmas. It was our Birthday cake for Jesus. It tastes a lot like cinnamon rolls, but a lot quicker to make!

Cinnamon Brunch Cake

TOPPING

  1. Set oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Prepare a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish, or two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans (although the batter will seem like it will fit into only one 8 or 9-inch pan, this flop rises very high and will run over the sides if baked in just one pan).
  3. In a bowl mix the 2 cups flour, 1-1/4 cups white sugar, milk, vanilla or almond extract, baking powder, pinch of salt and egg (if using) until just combined careful not to overmix.
  4. Pour into prepared baking pan/s.
  5. Generously spread brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
  6. If desired sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans over top.
  7. Drizzle melted butter over top.
  8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes for 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, and about 30 minutes for a 13 x 9-inch pan.
We grilled a turkey for the first time ever. I don't think I'll go back to cooking it in the oven! It was so moist and flavorful and left the oven free for cooking other things! Here's the rub I used on it.

Firehouse Turkey

3 TB cracked black pepper
2 TB garlic salt
1 TB dry mustard
1 TB paprika
3/4 tsp cayenne
4 TB unsalted butter, softened

Directions
Mix together the dry ingredients.
Add the butter and mash with a fork until mixed and forms a thick paste.
Spread the paste under the skin and inside the cavity of the turkey.

This spinach salad was so good and easy! I didn't dump the dressing on the whole salad since it was just us. That way we can eat the leftovers all week.

Spinach Salad with Honey Bacon Dressing

  1. Combine first 6 ingredients with 5 of the cooked, crumbled bacon strips in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, oil, mustard lemon juice and remaining 2 strips of cooked, crumbled bacon.
  3. Pour over salad.
  4. Serve immediately.



No comments: