Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tasty Tuesday

Most of you know that I love pumpkin. This baked oatmeal is so good. It's like eating a pumpkin cookie for breakfast. And it's filling, it stuck with me through the morning, even after lifting weights for an hour. I will be making this through the fall!

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 1 cup pumpkin puree
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 3 cups rolled oats
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
    • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
    • 1/2 cup dried cranberries *I didn't have any, so I omitted*
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Start cranberries soaking in hot water to plump them.
  3. Mix first five ingredients (butter through eggs).
  4. Stir in dry ingredients.
  5. Drain cranberries and stir into mixture along with nuts (if using).
  6. Pour into buttered 9x12 pan (I use glass).
  7. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until center springs back when touched.
Hummus has been one of those things I've wanted to make for awhile but had never done it. I finally picked up the tahini (at a Indian grocer on campus) and made some. Wow, I wish I hadn't waited, it was super good. A great dipper for the hummus is baked pita chips. I just slice some pitas into triangles, spritz them with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake them at 350 for 10-15 minutes until they're crispy.

Hummus

Ingredients
    • 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
    • 1/2 cup tahini ( sesame seed paste)
    • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 3 garlic cloves, pressed
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Drain beans and reserve the liquid when you do so.
  2. Blend beans, along with the other ingredients and 1/4 cup of the liquid.
  3. Process until the mixture is smooth.
  4. Add liquid until the desired consistency is reached.
  5. Adjust seasonings along with more cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

No comments: