Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

This recipe has been on my to-try list for a few months now, and I finally made it on Sunday. Everyone devoured it! It is very simple and inexpensive to make and has a great flavor. I served it with homemade hummus and pita bread.

Mujadara

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Lentils
  • 4 whole Onions
  • 3-½ cups Water
  • 1 cup White Rice **I used basmati rice**
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil

Preparation Instructions

Slice the onions. The onions should be sliced long, so they look like a rain­bow ver­sus diced into small pieces.

Heat a pot on medium-high heat. Add 1 table­spoon of veg­etable oil and half an onion. Cook until onion is caramelized.

Add lentils, water, salt and pep­per. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and sim­mer for 20 minutes.

After 20 min­utes, add rice and cumin. Cover and sim­mer for addi­tional 20 minutes.

Heat a fry­ing pan over medium-high heat. Add the remain­ing 1 table­spoon of veg­etable oil and the remain­ing onions. Cook until fully caramelized and blackened.

No comments: