Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

The strawberries came early this year.  I've already taken the boys out to the strawberry patch twice to pick over 30 lbs.  I've frozen a bunch (to make jam later, I find making jam from frozen berries is easier since they defrost mushy), made strawberry cream cheese ice cream, eaten a bunch (in yogurt and salads), and made this Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler.  I traded Sarah strawberries for some of her rhubarb.  Easier than pie and just as tasty if you ask me!


Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler


Fruit mixture
  • 4 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca **I used cornstarch**
  • 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
Cobbler crust
  • 2 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten


Preheat oven to 350°F.
1 In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
2 In a medium bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.
3 Pour fruit into a 2-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.
 

I still make soup for dinner every Monday when school is in session.  I teach water aerobics Monday evening after work, so it's an easy dinner that can be eaten early by Ryan and the boys, and can stay warm for me to eat a couple hours later.  Ryan then takes the leftovers for lunch the rest of the week.


I have many recipes that I pick from, but I still like to try a new one every so often.  I tried this one because I had everything on hand.  It was really tasty and easy, a good alternative to chicken noodle soup.

Turkey Lentil Soup

2 cups chopped, cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb dried lentils
2 qts veggie or chicken broth
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste (depending on your broth)

Mix ingredients together in your crock pot.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Eat!

No comments: