So, we´re back in Guatemala City now. Members from our mission team are slowly trickling in. We´re staying at the Vista Real, it´s really nice!
We took a trip to Panajachel and Lake Atitlan yesterday. Everyone is right, it´s the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. Unfortunately I can´t share any pictures with you because there is no card reader here at the hotel. Pana was dirtier than I expected and there were a lot of hippies there. We didn´t have time to take a boat to any of the other villages, but I´m sure they are more charming.
The drive there was really windy through the mountains, we had a good driver so it wasn´t too scary! About an hour before we had to leave, there was a thunderstorm. So on the way home it was kinda foggy and misty. Not too fun when you´re on windy mountain roads. We had a near head on collision with a chicken bus. Scary! We had the same driver on the way home, so I trusted him, but whoa.
Of course the food here is awesome! I´ve been having guacamole at least once a day, fresh corn tortillas, black beans, plantains, fresh fruit juice.... Good thing we did lots and lots of walking! I got some fresh squeezed orange juice from a street vendor for 50 cents. Sooooo good. No wonder I don´t drink juice at home, I only like the real thing
We saw a few interesting things in trucks on the way back to the city today. 2 cows in the back of a small pickup, 4 coffins (not sure if there were dead bodies in there!), a whole truck bed full of eggs.....
We´ve been getting by on my minimal Spanish skills. I´ve even been able to bargain at the market, so that´s fun. I wanted to buy a quilt for Brooks and the price started at 1800 quetzales and I got them down to 300. It was at the point where they weren´t budging so when I was walking away they were chasing after me lowering the price.
Tomorrow we travel back to Antigua to visit 2 orphanages. I´m really excited to begin this journey!
We took a trip to Panajachel and Lake Atitlan yesterday. Everyone is right, it´s the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. Unfortunately I can´t share any pictures with you because there is no card reader here at the hotel. Pana was dirtier than I expected and there were a lot of hippies there. We didn´t have time to take a boat to any of the other villages, but I´m sure they are more charming.
The drive there was really windy through the mountains, we had a good driver so it wasn´t too scary! About an hour before we had to leave, there was a thunderstorm. So on the way home it was kinda foggy and misty. Not too fun when you´re on windy mountain roads. We had a near head on collision with a chicken bus. Scary! We had the same driver on the way home, so I trusted him, but whoa.
Of course the food here is awesome! I´ve been having guacamole at least once a day, fresh corn tortillas, black beans, plantains, fresh fruit juice.... Good thing we did lots and lots of walking! I got some fresh squeezed orange juice from a street vendor for 50 cents. Sooooo good. No wonder I don´t drink juice at home, I only like the real thing
We saw a few interesting things in trucks on the way back to the city today. 2 cows in the back of a small pickup, 4 coffins (not sure if there were dead bodies in there!), a whole truck bed full of eggs.....
We´ve been getting by on my minimal Spanish skills. I´ve even been able to bargain at the market, so that´s fun. I wanted to buy a quilt for Brooks and the price started at 1800 quetzales and I got them down to 300. It was at the point where they weren´t budging so when I was walking away they were chasing after me lowering the price.
Tomorrow we travel back to Antigua to visit 2 orphanages. I´m really excited to begin this journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment