I awoke at 1 am to hear Hudson in the bathroom. He had been coughing on Thursday and when I checked on him before I went to bed his breathing sounded not too good. I got up and checked on him and his breathing was very labored. I gave him a breathing treatment and his breathing did not improve. So, I got him in the car and headed to the ER at 2 am.
We were quickly in a room and my observations were confirmed that he was in respiratory distress. They got him x-rayed, dosed up and on oxygen and when he was not rebounding they said we needed to be admitted. Apparently the virus he had set off his asthma big time.
They wheeled us over to the Pediatrics unit and got us a room. A tiny room. This is a new hospital and I wondered, how is this any better than the old hospital? A pediatrician from our office came in to look at Hudson and told us that we would be at least staying overnight because they needed to see how his oxygen levels looked, plus he was very wheezy. Hudson napped most of the morning and ate a good lunch. After lunch we got moved into a new room. It was huge, like 4 times the size of the old room and it had windows that overlooked the courtyard. Hudson was able to stay off oxygen all afternoon and evening and was sounding much better.
I spent the night with him (and got more sleep than the 3 hours the night before) and he only had to have a minimum amount of oxygen overnight. They also increased the amount of time between breathing treatments.
He did well Saturday morning, no oxygen needed. When the pediatrician came in at 2pm he decided to release us.
He's been doing great at home. He's still on the steroid and getting breathing treatments several times a day, but pretty much back to his goofy self.
1 comment:
So glad he's feeling better! We sure were praying for him. He's such a special boy-we love watching him talk!!
Take care.
Love, Aunt Pat and Uncle Dave (Buddy)
Post a Comment