Monday, February 16, 2009

Fun packed weekend

We decided to take a last minute trip to Indy for the weekend to celebrate Family Day. After we ate a tipico Guatemala breakfast (scrambled eggs with tomatoes, refried black beans, corn tortillas, and fried plantains) we loaded up the car and headed to Indy.

We hit a few thrift stores and then headed to Guatelinda for some great Guatemalan food. We had pupusas, empanadas, chile relleno, tamal, and sopes. Brooks loved his papaya milkshake. We left stuffed (as usual). I stopped into a panaderia to pick up some tres leches cake and some other pastries for dessert later that evening.

I had Pricelined us a hotel and ended up with the Residence Inn in Carmel. We checked in and headed down to the indoor pool for some swimming. The boys loved showing off their swimming skills, Brooks especially.

Later that evening, we headed to old downtown Carmel for a Gallery Walk. 10 years ago, I lived near downtown Carmel for a summer while I did my internship. It has changed! Ryan wasn't even sure if the apartment complex I lived in was still there, it was, but what a difference. We all enjoyed walking around and checking out the art and having snacks. I think we were the only people there with kids. Of course, it was Valentine's Day. The boys have been to Gallery Walks in Lafayette with us before and Brooks' favorite part is the cookies. Since they hadn't taken a nap, we stayed clear of places with breakables in reach and stuck to the places with stuff on the walls. There was some really nice art. Really nice, like you could buy a car or two for the price of some of it.

Sunday morning we hung out at the hotel, enjoyed our free breakfast, and watched some HGTV. Ryan wanted to try out a 90 minute cycling class at one of the Y's, so we dropped him off and ran some errands. I told the boys we could go to Barnes and Noble. We went to the one in Clearwater Crossing, I gathered up some magazines to read and we headed back to the kids section. Guess what....no Thomas Train Table?! The boys were so dissapointed (as was I). So I loaded everyone back up in the car and we went to Target.

After we picked up Ryan, we headed to Red Robin to get my free Birthday burger. We love Red Robin (yeah, I know we're kinda breaking our "rule" since it's a chain), the closest one used to be in Schaumburg, but now Indy has a couple. The boys split a chicken fingers meal and Hudson really liked the honey mustard. I think he just about drank it.

We then headed south of Indy to Mike and Robin's house for their annual Daytona 500 party. We had a fun time seeing them and meeting their new baby Caleb for the first time. Brooks and Hudson loved playing with Gabe and his cousin and didn't want to leave. The last half hour of our drive home Hudson was screaming over and over again about "tractor book" that he had dropped. Of course he then fell asleep 5 minutes before we got home. And we all slept well last night...

1 comment:

Robin said...

We're so glad you could make it. Gabe definately had fun with the boys. Hope to see you guys again sometime soon!