Monday, February 2, 2009

Recipes of the week


I made bagels! I made them once before, but they didn't turn out that great. This time they did. I sprinkled poppy seeds and dried garlic on top. Everyone loved them!

Here is the recipe for my "famous" snack mix. I like to use Tapatio brand hot sauce, but you can use your favorite. I made it for the Superbowl party. Brooks was very concerned that I was leaving the leftovers there. He was very relieved when our hosts said we could take the leftovers home. Don't be scared by the hot sauce and cayenne, no one has ever complained about it being too spicy and we had 1 year olds eating it last night.

The Slow Simmered Spaghetti and Meatballs was a huge hit, especially to Hudson. That boy just inhales spaghetti. I had gotten some frozen meatballs on sale for .94 and the pasta sauce for .39, so it was a really cheap meal, especially considering we ate this for dinner for 3 days! I had a little bit of Merlot left in a bottle, so I threw that into the sauce too.

Bread Machine Bagels

1 cup water
2 tsp cooking oil
3 cups flour
1 TB sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
For the tops:
1 egg white, beat with some water
Poppy seeds

1. Add the ingredients to your bread machine. Run the dough cycle.
2. When the cycle is done, remove the dough, punch down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 9 portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
4. Punch a 2-inch hole in the center of each ball.
5. Place dough on greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Bring 6 cups water and 1 TB sugar to boil.
7. Simmer each bagel for 1 minute, flipping over at the halfway point.
8. Place bagels on cooling rack to drain off the excess water.
9. Place bagels back on cookie sheet and brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
10. Back at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Texas Trash

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TB worceshire sauce
1 TB hot sauce
1 cup Cheerios
6 cups Chex (any combination)
1 cup pretzels
1 cup peanuts

1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a glass measure cup.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large roasting pan.
3. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until well coated.
4. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
5. Place on paper towels to cool.

Slow Simmered Spaghetti and Meatballs

1 26 oz jar Pasta Sauce
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 TB minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
16 oz frozen meatballs
16 oz spaghetti

1. Mix all the ingredients, except for the spaghetti, in your crockpot. Make sure the frozen meatballs are well coated.
2. Cook on low 7-8 hours.
3. Just before serving, cook the spaghetti according to the package.
4. Serve sauce and meatballs over the spaghetti.

No comments: